Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fenix 2


One great thing about my current job (yeah private sector!!) is that we get a $350 reimbursement yearly for a "Wellness" benefit. So basically, once you have been working there for six months, every year you can buy something related to fitness for up to $350 and the office pays for it. Neat, huh?

So once my first six months were up, I knew I was going to buy a new GPS watch. I had a Garmin 310 previously, which is good enough for running, but I have never had a waterproof multisport watch. I went to REI planning on buying the Garmin 910XT, since that's the one most triathletes use, but when I got to the store they told me about this watch that had just come out two months earlier: the Fenix 2.

It does everything that the Garmin 910 does, plus more-- you can use it for hiking and even tracking your skiing runs.

I originally hadn't been super attracted to these watches for the swimming distance tracking (unlike most triathletes, I completely refuse to use a watch when I swim in a pool) but for open water it's actually an amazing tool. I was able to glance at it during my race last weekend to see how far I still had to go and what my general pace was so far.

I also love the fact that you can sync it with cadence sensors on your bike and (if you so choose) your running shoe. I don't have a bike computer for my tri bike yet because I've already spent an unbelievable amount of money this year, so I usually just strap my watch to my handlebars before long rides and it's the same thing.

Anyway. It's awesome, and I love it.

1 comment: